You must have car insurance to drive in every state in the country. Each state has its own minimum requirements for liability coverage, but if you do not have car insurance you can face some steep penalties.
First you should know what is required when driving the streets of Pennsylvania. You must have the following coverage in place to register your vehicle and get behind the wheel:
- Medical coverage – this will take care of your medical bills and anyone else who is covered by your insurance policy even if you were not at fault in the accident. You have to have at least $5,000 in coverage.
- Bodily injury – this is what will pay the medical bills and any rehabilitation charges if you were at fault for the accident. You must have $15,000 to cover the expenses for one person in the accident and $30,000 for any others who were injured in the accident.
- Property damage – you must have $5,000 to cover the damage to the other person’s car when you are at fault.
There is additional coverage that you may purchase but you only need the coverage that is listed above to legally drive in this state.
If you are not able to produce proof of your Pennsylvania auto insurance when you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you may face any or all of the following:
- At least a fine of $300
- You registration may be suspended for 3 months
- Your driver’s license may be suspended for 3 months
- Your car may be impounded
- The fees it will take to restore your driver’s license
- The fees it will take to restore the registration of your car
If you do not pay your insurance on time and your insurance lapses you could also be in trouble. If the lapse of insurance is more than 31 days you may find your license and registration suspended for three months.
Once your car insurance lapses it may be hard to find a company that will insure you. You may have to pay higher rates because of this because now you have shown yourself to be a risk. If you find that you cannot afford car insurance you may qualify for the Assigned Risk Plan for the state of Pennsylvania. All of the companies in the state are required to offer this plan so you can get insurance at discounted rates.